Thank you for electing me to serve you in the Colorado House of Representatives from District 9, which includes all of the southeastern part of the City of Denver. We are currently in legislative session, and I’m working on the budget, considering my colleagues’ bills, and passing my bills.
Being your Representative has been the greatest honor in my life. Thank you. I believe you selected me because you wanted me to work on some central issues, especially:
- Increase funds for early childhood education through 12th grade.
- Invest more in higher education, to lower cost of tuition.
- Create rights and protections for LGBT Coloradans.
- Help small businesses grow and export, especially high tech start-ups.
- Increase the size of the state’s budget reserve for a rainy day.
- Increase the renewable energy standard.
Over the past almost four years, I worked with other legislators to build the coalition to pass bills and budgets which addressed all of these things. In addition, most of the bills we passed during my terms in office were bi-partisan. You won’t hear that in the news.
In addition, over the past four years, I got my own bills passed, and some of those were your ideas:
- Required the Governor’s office to work and report annually on climate change’s affect on Colorado
- Allowed drivers to show proof of insurance to law enforcement using their cell phones
- Guaranteed the right to vote for young people committed to the Div. of Youth Corrections.
Among the bills I passed out of the House so far this year, are:
- ban on so-called “gay conversion therapy”
- creation of an international “Sister State” program, to build global business, tourism, education exchanges
- ensure that the cases of children in social services are in court venues that are in their best interest
- open agreements between special districts to sunshine laws
Besides legislation, one of my favorite projects I worked on brought together almost 100 people from around Colorado to celebrate our Sister Cities and promote Colorado internationally. Another annual event I did for the past 4 years, which no other
legislator does, is when I invited one “stellar” student from each school in the district to come to the Capitol and receive a commendation for her or his accomplishments. I also recognized the lifetime of hard work of people in our area regardless of party affiliation, including former Rep. Ruth Prendergast (R), John Case, former Rep. Alice Borodkin (D), Teddie Throm, as well as two companies which were identified by Pinnacol Assurance for their excellent safety records.
You also elected me to be careful of every vote, regardless if it had a Democratic or Republican sponsor, or had both. I may be a proud, progressive Democrat, but I brought an independent-minded outlook to the legislature. If I felt very strongly that a bill was not good public policy, I voted no, even if the majority voted yes.
My office was always buzzing with activity, working for you, my constituent. I hope you will always feel comfortable to visit me at the Capitol, call, email, or text me, or follow me on Twitter or Facebook. I am at your service. It is my hope that you are pleased with my work and will support me in the election in November.
Thank you very much.
Colorado House Dist. 9
303.866.2910 Capitol office